FEATURED
TOP-RATED
FRESH

CAN YOU RUN A FASHION COMPANY? ep.2

CLICK TO SUBCRIBE TO THIS YOUTUBE CHANNEL ABOVE! ASK ME QUESTIONS FOR A VIDEO AND USE: #ASKIMONIQ TWITTER: https://twitter.com/IMONIQ INSTAGRAM: FACEBOOK: WHAT I DO: FIND OUT MORE: IMONIQ ep. 2 Too many designers get hung up on the idea of being an independent designer and my recommendation is, if you want to truly design all day than it is better to design for a label that does not have your name on it so someone else can worry about the business side of things. I mean it’s crazy but new designers forget Tom Ford, Nicolas Ghesquire, even Karl Lagerfeld, (though he has his own label), is famous for designing at Chanel. Is it more important to have your name on the tag or have money in the bank? There are those who have both, but I just want you to consider there are other roads to take on the way to becoming a well-known designer. I mean I did what all the books said, I went to school, got the hard skills, then I interned abroad in a small fashion house and saw firsthand how it all went down ( and was like oookk not ready yet), then I worked for someone else for 6 years before I went out on my own. This is what I learned from all that in a nutshell: 1) Going to school to start my own business did not require a fashion degree, I learned a lot, but I could have gone to a technical school and learned the necessary tools and saved myself the 2 additional years and $$$$. 2) My exchange was in a fashion house yes, I cut fabric, did fittings, helped at Fashion week, but I knew nothing about the business itself and I was so blinded by the glitz and glam, I didn’t care 3) I went to work in the industry (correction I had a title as a designer in a major retailer) what I learned was invaluable, but I took it for granted all the support it took to run a company and deliver a good product consistently to the market. I even worked in multiple departments from production, to global sourcing and I still underestimated what would be required to run my own line All that to tell you THERE IS NO RUSH! Fashion trends change season to season and so do the designers who try and enter the market. Only 1% will actually make it. Not just because of competition but because the other 99% were not prepared.

Related

COMMENTS
Post Comment
Thank you! Your comment is awaiting moderation.